HomeSportsRed Sox 'make the right decisions' despite Xander Bogaerts departure, Rafael Devers'...

Red Sox ‘make the right decisions’ despite Xander Bogaerts departure, Rafael Devers’ looming free agency, exec says


Last week, the Boston Red Sox lost shortstop Xander Bogaerts when he signed an 11-year deal with the San Diego Padres worth $280 million.

The Red Sox won the World Series in 2018. A year later, they missed the postseason and fired president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski. They replaced Dombrowski with Chaim Bloom from the Tampa Bay Rays. In three seasons, Bloom has made some questionable decisions.

Since Bloom’s signing, the Red Sox traded Mookie Betts, Andrew Benintendi, Jackie Bradley Jr. and Christian Vázquez, who, along with Bogaerts, were key contributors to winning that World Series. Betts was the 2018 American League Most Valuable Player.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

Xander Bogaerts of the Boston Red Sox reacts during the sixth inning of a game against the Tampa Bay Rays on October 5, 2022 at Fenway Park in Boston.
(Billie Weiss/Boston Red Sox/Getty Images)

The Red Sox signed Trevor Story last season to a seven-year deal worth $140 million, but maybe he was just a Coors Field wonder. He slashed just .238/.303/.434, all career lows for him, and played in only 94 games.

Boston also signed Japanese phenom Masataka Yoshida to a five-year, $90 million deal, but we’ll have to wait and see if the outfielder can adjust to the big league level.

The Red Sox made a surprise run to the ALCS in 2021, but that season is interspersed with last-place finishes in the AL East.

Team CEO Sam Kennedy says he agrees with all of the decisions.

During the introductory press conference for reliever Kenley Jansen on Tuesday, Kennedy spoke of Bogaerts’ departure in a surprisingly positive way.

Boston Red Sox CEO Sam Kennedy participates in an event at Fenway Park in Boston to announce the creation of a college football game called the Fenway Bowl on September 17, 2019.

Boston Red Sox CEO Sam Kennedy participates in an event at Fenway Park in Boston to announce the creation of a college football game called the Fenway Bowl on September 17, 2019.
(John Tlumacki/The Boston Globe via Getty Images)

“I try not to look back. You can really hurt yourself and hurt your plan and hurt your decision-making if you have too much regret about the past or have any kind of fear of the future. I don’t get involved in any of these things.” those two activities. I don’t focus on regrets from the past, and I don’t worry about things I can’t control in the future. What we’re trying to do right now is make the right decisions for the Boston Red Sox. That’s the job. It comes with painful and difficult decisions along the way.

“We will continue to do what I said we were going to do, which is make the right decisions.”

XANDER BOGAERTS, PARENTS AGREE TO 11-YEAR, $280 MILLION DEAL: REPORTS

The Red Sox may soon lose another local talent from that 2018 champion team in Rafael Devers. The third baseman is reportedly looking for a deal in excess of $300 million, but he and the team are around $100 million apart.

Devers owns an .884 OPS since the start of the 2019 season. Since then, he has led MLB in extra-base hits and is second in total bases (two behind Freddie Freeman).

Xander Bogaerts and Rafael Devers of the Boston Red Sox during the third inning of the 2022 Little League Classic game against the Baltimore Orioles on August 21, 2022 at Bowman Field in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania.

Xander Bogaerts and Rafael Devers of the Boston Red Sox during the third inning of the 2022 Little League Classic game against the Baltimore Orioles on August 21, 2022 at Bowman Field in South Williamsport, Pennsylvania.
(Maddie Malhotra/Boston Red Sox/Getty Images)

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

As of 2018, Bogaerts is hitting .301 with an .880 OPS, earning three Silver Slugger Awards and MVP votes each season.



Source link

RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -

Most Popular