Carlos Correa signed a three-year deal with the Minnesota Twins in March that included an opt-out after each season.
It sure looks like Correa is going to use that to his advantage.
Correa’s deal was worth $105.3 million over three years, but it appears Correa plans to walk out after this year and has challenged the Twins.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM
“When I go to the mall and I go to the Dior store, when I want something, I buy it. I ask how much it costs and I buy it. If you really want something, you just go get it,” he said. he said she.
“I am the product here. If they want my product, they just have to come get it.”
Correa was still a free agent two weeks before the MLB season began. The strike didn’t do him any favors, but he may have been quick to come to an agreement.
However, his $35.1 million salary is the fourth-highest in baseball history and the highest for an infielder. It’s hard to blame him for not signing up for that.
But if Correa doesn’t opt out now, well in his prime, he won’t become a free agent again until he’s 30, which is seen by some as a tragic number for contracts in sports.
Correa’s asking price last year might have been too high. He was reportedly looking for a deal worth 10 years and/or $300 million.
MLB SAYS MINOR LEAGUE GAMES ARE REDUCED BY NEARLY HALF AN HOUR THANKS TO PITCH CLOCKS
He had a couple of IL seasons and shaky streaks that have cut into his overall numbers, but his .287 average is his best mark since 2017, and he remains an elite defensive shortstop. He too has picked up the game from him in recent weeks.
As of Aug. 13, he’s slashing .333/.411/.539 with eight home runs and 24 RBIs (a 162-game pace of 30-90).
It’s hard to imagine teams with shortstop needs not signing him long-term.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
If Correa opted out, he would be one of the top two shortstops on the market, joining Trea Turner.