HomeSportsBrowns' Nick Chubb regrets scoring late touchdown before Jets return

Browns’ Nick Chubb regrets scoring late touchdown before Jets return


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

All the Cleveland Browns needed was a first down.

The New York Jets had no timeouts and were down a touchdown with 2:02 left in the game. The Browns passed it to Nick Chubb, who got the first down but threw a defender two more yards to score his third touchdown of the game, making it 30-17 for the Browns.

Game over, right? Good …

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

Nick Chubb (24) of the Cleveland Browns scores a touchdown against the New York Jets during the fourth quarter at FirstEnergy Stadium on September 18, 2022 in Cleveland.
(Nick Cammett/Getty Images)

On 2 and 1 from the Jets 34-yard line, Joe Flacco found Corey Davis wide open for a 66-yard touchdown run. Greg Zuerlein’s extra point gave the Jets the back cover. But the Jets went for an onside kick, got it back and marched again. This time, Flacco found rookie Garrett Wilson for the game-tying touchdown, his second of the day, and Zuerlein hit the game-winning PAT.

If Chubb had fallen near the goal line, the Browns could have taken a knee three times until the clock hit zero. Instead, the Jets scored 14 points in the final 1:55 of the game.

ESPN’s Win Probability Calculator gave Cleveland a 99.9 percent chance of winning. 0.1 percent prevailed.

“I probably shouldn’t have scored right there, honestly, looking back,” Chubb said. “It cost us the game.”

Willow Gardner (1) and Ashtyn Davis (21) of the New York Jets celebrate after their 31-30 win over the Cleveland Browns at FirstEnergy Stadium on September 18, 2022 in Cleveland.

Willow Gardner (1) and Ashtyn Davis (21) of the New York Jets celebrate after their 31-30 win over the Cleveland Browns at FirstEnergy Stadium on September 18, 2022 in Cleveland.
(Nick Cammett/Getty Images)

JETS SCORE TWICE IN THE FINAL TWO MINUTES TO EARN A MIRACULOUS COMEBACK VICTORY AGAINST BROWNS

Surely, it’s not all on Chubb: The defense gave up 128 passing yards to a 37-year-old backup in the final 1:55 minute of the game.

“A lot of things went wrong, not just one,” the broker said. “But collectively as a unit, as a team, we all could have done things differently, but it’s only a problem because we didn’t win. So it probably should have gone down.”

From Week 9 of 2001 to Week 1 of this season, teams went 2,229-0 when he leads by at least 13 points in the last two minutes.

It was, without exaggeration, one of the best comebacks in NFL history.

Chubb noted that it’s pretty hard to go from full throttle to a dead stop in just two yards, but says he “probably could have” dropped.

Nick Chubb (24) of the Cleveland Browns runs with the ball before being brought down by DJ Reed of the New York Jets during the first quarter at FirstEnergy Stadium on September 18, 2022 in Cleveland.

Nick Chubb (24) of the Cleveland Browns runs with the ball before being brought down by DJ Reed of the New York Jets during the first quarter at FirstEnergy Stadium on September 18, 2022 in Cleveland.
(Nick Cammett/Getty Images)

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Fantasy owners rejoiced, Browns fans certainly didn’t.





Source link

RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -

Most Popular