HomeHealthAre you going on a trip this summer? Be sure to...

Are you going on a trip this summer? Be sure to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Following the recently confirmed carbon monoxide (CO)-related deaths of three American tourists at a Sandals resort in the Bahamas, experts are weighing ways to help prevent exposure to carbon monoxide poisoning during travel and vacations this year. summer.

Carbon monoxide is especially dangerous because it is an odorless gas. People do not realize they are exposed until they become symptomatic.

Health experts advise that it is vital to have carbon monoxide detectors installed in homes, rental units, hotel rooms and more, and to to know and confirm that they are indeed in place and fully operational during any vacation stay, no matter how short or long.

SANDALS BAHAMAS DEATH: POLICE CONFIRM DEAD CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING OF 3 AMERICAN TOURISTS

Not all US states, and not all countries, require CO detectors to be installed in hotel rooms, rental units, or homes.

Travelers have the responsibility to check and confirm whether vacation destinations have detectors or not.

Robbie and Michael Phillips were discovered dead on May 6 at Sandals Emerald Bay in Great Exuma, Bahamas. Samples taken from the couple and a Florida resident who also died were sent to a US lab for testing.
(Facebook/Thesandalslady)

At the Sandals resort, where three people died of carbon monoxide poisoning, CO detectors were not installed because it was not a mandatory regulation, Fox News Digital previously reported.

The resort released a statement that said, “CO detectors have been placed in all rooms at Sandals Emerald Bay and while not required in any Caribbean destinations where we operate, detectors will be installed in all rooms across the portfolio.”

SANDALS OF THE DEAD BAHAMAS: WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING, A SILENT KILLER

The presence of carbon monoxide in hotels is an issue travelers should have on their radar, according to a study published in Preventive Medicine Reports in 2019.

The authors of that study found that from January 1, 2005 through December 31, 2018, more than 900 guests traveling in the US were poisoned in 115 identified incidents, including 22 deaths. The type of accommodation where the odorless gas was present included hotels, motels and resorts of all kinds and located in most states, according to the study.

Vacationers should be aware of the potential dangers of carbon monoxide in a rental unit, rental home, or hotel, as state and national regulations vary.

The researchers found that most of the poisonings were caused by appliances that run on natural gas, and could likely have been prevented by the presence of a carbon monoxide alarm in the room, according to the published study.

They suggested that the government should require the installation of CO detectors in rooms, similar to how smoke alarms must be present, to reduce carbon monoxide-related illnesses and deaths.

A home inspector advised travelers to take carbon monoxide detectors with them when they go on vacation or travel.

A home inspector advised travelers to take carbon monoxide detectors with them when they go on vacation or travel.
(iStock)

Bobby Davidson, president of HomePro Chesapeake Inc., in Annapolis, Maryland, performs home inspection services and environmental testing of homes and buildings. Davidson told Fox News Digital in an interview this week that it’s important for vacationers to be aware of the potential dangers of carbon monoxide in a rental unit, rental home or hotel since state regulations vary.

“For example, in Maryland, you’re not required to have a carbon monoxide detector in your home,” Davidson said. “So if you’re planning a vacation along the Maryland coast, you should know that state requirements may not require a CO detector to be installed at that particular rental facility.”

“The detectors are small enough to fit in a bag and typically cost less than $30,” said Bobby Davidson of HomePro Chesapeake Inc. in Annapolis, Maryland.

One way to help avoid potential CO poisoning, Davidson said, is to include a carbon monoxide detector in the items you pack before a trip.

SANDALS BAHAMAS DEATHS: SON OF AMERICAN WOMAN HOSPITALIZED IN MIAMI SAYS SHE WAKED UP AND ‘COULD NOT MOVE’

“The detectors are small enough to fit in a bag and typically cost less than $30,” he said.

Davidson even advised bringing two detectors and placing one on the lower level of the rental home and one near the sleeping area.

Davidson said that for those traveling abroad, where electrical outlets may be different than in the US, vacationers should consider using a battery-powered unit. Either that, or ask for one with the proper output type.

An aerial view of the Bahamas.  Travelers should ask very specific questions about carbon monoxide detectors, a home inspection professional advised.

An aerial view of the Bahamas. Travelers should ask very specific questions about carbon monoxide detectors, a home inspection professional advised.

The home inspector also suggested that travelers should ask hotel or rental unit managers the following questions and discuss these topics:

1. Do some appliances run on gas, like water heaters and stoves?

two. Is the fireplace gas powered and properly vented? (Davidson also said that people should never keep a gas fireplace burning while sleeping.)

3. Has a carbon monoxide detector been installed and, if so, when was it last checked?

Four. Are some generators being used indoors or even partially indoors? (They shouldn’t be).

When renting a vacation home, it is important to verify the condition of the property with authorized experts.

He also said that for vacationers who can’t get or don’t have a lot of information about the house or unit they’re renting, then it’s best to bring a battery-powered or plug-in CO detector.

Also, he said, never, ever leave a car running in the garage.

Moorhead, Minnesota officials appeared at a news conference on December 22, 2021 to discuss the deaths of seven residents from carbon monoxide poisoning.  A carbon monoxide detector in a garage was removed and replaced with a smoke-only detector, but investigators found no evidence of criminal activity.

Moorhead, Minnesota officials appeared at a news conference on December 22, 2021 to discuss the deaths of seven residents from carbon monoxide poisoning. A carbon monoxide detector in a garage was removed and replaced with a smoke-only detector, but investigators found no evidence of criminal activity.
(AP Photo/Dave Kolpack)

Jennifer McCormick, a licensed real estate professional in Annapolis, Md., with Engel & Völkers, told Fox News Digital that when renting a vacation home, it’s important to check the condition of the property with licensed experts.

“Make sure the house you are renting has all the security features as per the law,” he said. “Carbon monoxide is a deadly hazard, and some rental companies may have in their contracts that they are not responsible for the condition of the property.”

“It’s also important to make sure that furniture and curtains don’t block the detectors and that there are enough detectors that have been approved by authorized experts.”

McCormick also noted that it’s important for the rental agency to verify that smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are in place in required areas, including sleeping areas.

“It’s also important to make sure that furniture and curtains don’t block the detectors and that there are enough detectors that have been approved by authorized experts,” McCormick added.

The real estate professional also said that if a family includes someone who is hard of hearing, it’s wise to ask if the unit has alarms that include flashing lights, or ask if they can provide one.

“Since you can’t smell or see carbon monoxide, it’s extremely important to take the proper steps and ask these important questions before you sign anything,” McCormick said.

Dr. Fred Davis, DO, MPH, is a board certified emergency medicine physician at Northwell Health in Long Island, NY and recently spoke with Fox News about carbon monoxide poisoning. Davis said: “Carbon monoxide replaces oxygen in hemoglobin, the oxygen carrier in our blood, and prevents oxygen from reaching cells. This causes headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting and confusion.”

The doctor emphasized the importance of seeking medical attention if you suspect you have been exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning.

He added that if a person remains in the affected area, they will potentially pass out and even die.

Davis also said, “If you find yourself in a place that burns fuel (including some kitchen appliances like stoves or water heaters, and car exhaust) and you start to get those symptoms, the first thing you want to do is get out of the car.” of the area.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Davis added: “Being able to get into an open area away from those items can help alleviate mild symptoms.”

The doctor emphasized the importance of seeking medical attention if you suspect you have been exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning.



Source link

RELATED ARTICLES
- Advertisment -

Most Popular