London —A UK court granted him “unconditional bail” on Thursday morning as he made his first appearance on charges accusing him of sexually assaulting three men between 2005 and 2013. Accompanied by his legal team, the actor was greeted by a multitude of journalists and photographers. when he entered London’s Westminster Magistrates’ Court for a preliminary hearing. His next court appearance is scheduled for July 14.
Spacey was not asked to formally plead guilty, but his lawyer said the actor “strongly denies any wrongdoing in this case,” according to the British newspaper. Telegraph Newspaper.
The two-time Academy Award winner faces four charges in the UK for sexual assault and one charge for causing a person to engage in non-consensual penetrative sexual activity. The alleged crimes took place in London and Gloucestershire, and the three alleged victims are now in their 30s and 40s.
After UK prosecutors authorized police to charge Spacey last month, the actor said in a statement to “Good Morning America” that he would face the charges in court. He promised to “prove my innocence,” according to The Associated Press.
Spacey ran London’s renowned Old Vic Theater from 2004 to 2015, serving as artistic director.
In 2017, after American actor Anthony Rapp alleged that Spacey climbed on top of him on a bed when he was 14, numerous allegations of assault and inappropriate behavior were made against Spacey.
Two years after his departure from the Old Vic, the theater said its own investigation into his conduct had generated 20 complaints of inappropriate behaviour, and encouraged 14 of those who made the complaints to go to the police.
Spacey was questioned by British police in 2019 over claims by several men that he had assaulted them.
“Kevin Spacey seems to feel like there’s still a chance to rehab in this country. So I think the strategy is to come here, face the music and see if it can save his career,” Danny Rogers, editor-in-chief. of PRWeek UK, he told CBS News. “He must feel that damage is being done to the ‘Kevin Spacey brand’ after all the accusations of the last five or 10 years. So if the damage has already been done, there is still something to be done to fight the new accusations.” “.
In 2019, Massachusetts prosecutorsthat was filed against Spacey, who was facing a felony charge of indecent assault and battery. The district attorney said he abandoned it “due to the unavailability of the complaining witness.”
Spacey was accused of groping an 18-year-old in a bar three years earlier. The accuser said Spacey bought him several alcoholic beverages before groping him.
CBS News correspondent Holly Williams contributed to this report.